DESIGN TECHNOLOGY (FOOD)
Mr Barry Robinson
Food Technology KS3
What does food technology aim to develop at KS3
Food Technology is an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject. Along with the national curriculum for design and technology we aim to ensure that all pupils: understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
As part of their work with food, pupils will be taught how to cook and apply the principles of nutrition and healthy eating. We aim to instil a love of cooking in pupils which will also open a door to one of the great expressions of human creativity and possible job opportunities that our students could access. Learning how to cook is a crucial life skill that enables pupils to feed themselves and others affordably and well, now and in later life.
- BASIC FOOD PREPARATION: Unit includes - Become competent in a range of cooking techniques using kitchen utensils and electrical equipment.
- COOKING AND PREPARATION METHODS: Cooking Unit includes – To offer pupils the opportunity to reflect on their experiences and develop skills to make progress.
- WEIGHTS AND MEASUREMENTS: Unit includes – To gain confidence, independence and creativity through practical cooking lessons.
- BASIC HOME COOKING: Unit includes – To cook a repertoire of sweet and savoury dishes so that they are able to feed themselves and others for a healthy and varied diet
- SEASONAL COOKING: Unit includes – To be familiar with products that are manufactured at certain times of the year.
- HEALTH AND NUTRITION: Unit includes – To understand and apply the principles of nutrition and health to understand the source, seasonality and characteristics of a broad range of ingredients.
- T-TIME TREATS: Unit includes – To baked snacks, cakes, jellies and delights, savoury treats
- SEASONAL SNACKS: Unit includes – To make Halloween, Christmas and Easter products
- FOOD STORAGE: Unit includes – To learn canned, dried, refrigerated and frozen foods, correct storage and the effects of cross contamination
- HEALTH AND NUTRITION: Unit includes – To understand the importance of nutrients, dairy, carbohydrates and proteins
- CLASSIC BRITISH DISHES: Unit includes – To make a selection of famous dishes throughout the British Isles
- PASTA: Unit includes – To research, evaluate, design and make
- FOOD ANDFLAVOURS AROUND THE WORLD: Unit includes – To make a variety of dishes from different countries including:
Italy: homemade Pasta and Focaccia Bread.
France, Croq Monsieur, Crepe’.
Spain: Omelettes, Meat Paella.
India: Traditional Chapatti / Naan. Chickpea and Spinach Curry, Chicken Korma, Development Curry.
China: Chicken Stir Fry, Cantonese Sweet & Sour, Singapore Noodles.
America: Ultimate USA Burger.
Mexico: Chilli Con Carne, Enchiladas.
Food Technology KS4
In KS4 year 10 and 11 students will be taught to-
- Study for an Edexcel GCSE Design & Technology qualification
- Complete a detailed portfolio on a chosen topic
- Complete a 1 ½ hour final examination
Questions regarding the curriculum for Design Technology (Food)
If you have any questions about the curriculum for Design Technology (Food), please contact Mr. B. Robinson on 01642 855010 or send an e-mail marked for the attention of Mr. B. Robinson to: email@example.com